6.02.2004

Less is Moore

Leaving work around 6 pm, I only had one hour to get to the polls before they closed. I rushed there, making good time. I walked up to the line, showed my I.D., and was asked, "Republican or Democrat?".

I really don't like having to choose. I like to vote for people, not parties, so I responded with "Do I have to choose?".

Well, I had to pick one, but which one to pick....hhhmmmmm....well, I thought about what I was doing, and realized that I could either vote for someone, or vote against someone - so I picked Republican.

This is what entered my mind. I thought about how Roy Moore had made a mockery of the Alabama Supreme Court, metaphorically pissed on our Constitution's First Amendment, defied his job, and caused Alabama to become just another joke for the national media. Then I thought about how he endorsed certain candidates for the Alabama Supreme Court, and how they must be stopped.

All those ads, mail-outs, and radio commercials about how they will stand up for Christian values...but no mention of the law. Is it too much to ask for a judge to stand up for the law? To obey the law? To do your job?

I have no problem with someone standing up for their religious beliefs, but making your entire political campaign on it is wrong unless you're running for a Priest position.

I thought that I may be the only one who had done this until I read the Montgomery Advertiser's article: "Few Voters, Tight Races".

Here is an excerpt of the article:

"But others were drawn to the polls because they opposed Moore's slate of candidates.

'I came out specifically to vote against those candidates who Roy Moore supports,' Montgomery resident Terry Harris said. "I am a firm believer in the separation of church and state."

The outcome of the vote:

Only one of the three judges that Moore endorsed won, and that was by a narrow margin.

Mr. Terry Harris, you're a good man.

"Moore" info:
Few Voters, Tight Races

No comments: